I am coming to the realization that my son, the one we are adopting this month is disabled. He came to us at age five. Now eight, his behaviors continue, and frustration mounts for me with every melt down, every backwards shirt, every grueling homework hour. The reality is, for whatever reason, emotionally or intellectually-- he is unable to behave like my other four children. My frustration, and lack of patience is a result of me operating on the premise that he can, but is choosing not to out of defiance. I have a long road ahead of me. Learning how to parent him patiently and with empathy as he screams and snarls at me is a big order. Lord help me to be the parent he needs, give me peace and patience overflowing. It is only through you that I am able to be what I must for our little guy. Amen
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment