So last week an acquaintance asked me about our adoption experience. I try to always make time and energy for these questions, even when they seem trite. You never can tell when someone is just being nosy, and when they are pondering exploring adoption for themselves. Most questions revolve around risk, which makes sense. Risk of losing the child once you are attached, risk of them having serious behavior or development issues, both can happen. It isn't easy. There is risk involved. You have to be willing to gamble a little. People want to hear that it can be clean, and easy. Our story is multifaceted. We had a miracle adoption- clean, easy, our son brings us nothing but joy-- and we thank God every day for the blessing. Then we had a more complicated adoption. Our son is damaged. He is hurting. Unable to trust, unable to love. It is complicated, and painful, and consuming. Do we regret our decision? I would be lying if I didn't admit that some days we wonder what life would be like had we not made the choice to love him. But-- we are still convicted that we can help better his life. That our love WILL make a difference. So we soldier on. We give the full scoop when people ask, because this is not a journey you should enter into with your rose colored glasses on. But if you feel the pull, the tugging at your heart-- fear not. You will be given the strength. You serve a purpose bigger than you think. #fosteradoption
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment