Skip to main content

Open your eyes

I have been on a journey of awareness over the last few years. I met with a friend of mine a while back to who shared information about the products that we use every single day--- and the toxic ingredients they have in them. I am not just talking about cleaning products, and and the scary stuff you find in processed foods. I am talking about the products you use on your infants, your children, yourself. I thought diet soda, and Fast food were the primary threats--- we eat organic vegetables, we clean with essential oils, we even make our own toothpaste and deodorant in our home-- but still we are exposed to a slew of ingredients linked to cancer and a host of other diseases. I have learned through this Ah-Ha moment, to become a label reader. Labeling in America is not trustworthy. "Natural", does not mean safe. "Fat Free" does not mean it won't make you fat. "sugar-free" does not mean healthy. We cannot trust the large personal products companies, and other product companies to put safe products on the shelves-- it just doesn't work that way. If the ingredients are not banned for those uses, they will be used if it improves the effectiveness, texture, fragrance, or basic consumer attractiveness. Is it linked to cancer? Endocrine Disruption? Well maybe..... but don't you love how that sunscreen disappears so quickly? Ahhh, you don't need to know how we do it, just enjoy not having sunscreen face. It's Crazy! Oh that deodorant is linked to breast cancer? Don't you want to be perspiration free for $4 or less??? You don't want to spend a few more dollars for something that won't put your breast health in danger, right? We have to become smart consumers, and make decisions on behalf of our families. Many people are making these tough choices every day already. Yes, it is more expensive to buy organic, or to buy a product without harmful ingredients, BUT once you know, you can't unknow. Stay with me as I explore this topic. I am going to unpack it for you.‪#‎ingredientsmatter‬ ‪#‎saynototoxins‬ ‪#‎protectyourfamily‬ ‪#‎healthyskin‬ ‪#‎healthybody‬‪#‎takeofftheblinders‬ ‪#‎labelreader‬

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I came to know Him

I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Quiet days of Summer- Ha!! Lol....

Summer is a wonderful time if you have the luxury to stay home with your kids and enjoy the slower pace.  Lazy days, pool time, reading, outings, and spending time at the beach is good for the soul.  If you are a parent who keeps your kids home with you vs. sending them to camp--- there is also a dark side to the lazy days of Summer. I know many Moms who say loud and proud, "I can't wait till Summer!! Oh yeah! Only 3 more weeks!!, Oh no! It's over already! We need a few more weeks!!" Are you one of those? Do you say it with a straight face? Ok, maybe you are sincere.  Bully for you, you win the Mom medal. Those are NOT my people.  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, I really do.  I love reading time, and lego time, and swimming, and picnics at the beach-- as much as any other Mom.  Let's get real for a minute though.  We can't play down the other side of life with kids. The constant fighting The whining The meltdowns (yes one of our guys st...

It's Summer, bring on the Baby Oil and Iodine! Not!

I was a teenager in the 80's.  We were living in Southern Pennsylvania, where the Winter's were cold & icy, and the Summer's were hot and sweaty.  The first hint of warm weather signaled us to bring our the shorts, and baby oil. We were all about getting our tan on.  You either used one of those coconut smelling tanning concoctions, or if you were hard core (like me, and my girls) you used Grandma Helen's formula, baby oil and iodine.  We would slather that oily mess on from head to toe, squeeze lemons onto our hair (or later sprayed Sun-In all over it), grab the cordless phone, our favorite nail polish, and head out to the pool. Now as a parent, and adult, my first thought is "oh no! don't get all of that crap in the pool!". My parents tried, believe me.  My sister and I would still get right in, get on the float and get our tan on. You couldn't lay on the side see.  You need the water to reflect and make sure you got the ultimate amount of sun...