Skip to main content

An East Coast girls first impression of LA Life

Living in Southern California is not typical Americana.  In fact, it is a bubble unto itself.  My children don't really know much else. The older ones have memories of Maryland, and certainly enjoy visits back east, but for all intents and purposes, they are SoCal boys.  We have been here for 9 years now.

I will never forget the first few months here.  The shock of all of the excess. Being a "housewife" in our neighborhood was the norm, not the exception.  Only "housewife" here meant, "I don't work, I lunch, and shop, and have someone to clean my house, and another person to take care of my kids".  Mom's wear designer clothing and high heels to volunteer at school.  The carpool drop off line is a parade of luxury cars.  I'll never forget seeing two kindergartners dropped off in a Rolls.  I wondered if she had Pop Tarts squashed between the cushions in the back seat like I did.

I remember walking my kids to school, wearing running shoes, shorts and an old college T-shirt, and looking around to see more bling, and blonde, and cleavage, then I ever imagined I would see at the local elementary school. Crazy first impression, right?  The good news is..... never judge a book by it's cover.  Some of those bling covered, cleavage bearing, blonds, ended up being some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.  Fortunately for me, I have never been intimidated by beautiful women.  I took the time to talk to people, and to get to know them, and I realized that though shiny was definitely important here, there was some substance going on too.  I just had to dig a little deeper to see what was real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I came to know Him

I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Quiet days of Summer- Ha!! Lol....

Summer is a wonderful time if you have the luxury to stay home with your kids and enjoy the slower pace.  Lazy days, pool time, reading, outings, and spending time at the beach is good for the soul.  If you are a parent who keeps your kids home with you vs. sending them to camp--- there is also a dark side to the lazy days of Summer. I know many Moms who say loud and proud, "I can't wait till Summer!! Oh yeah! Only 3 more weeks!!, Oh no! It's over already! We need a few more weeks!!" Are you one of those? Do you say it with a straight face? Ok, maybe you are sincere.  Bully for you, you win the Mom medal. Those are NOT my people.  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, I really do.  I love reading time, and lego time, and swimming, and picnics at the beach-- as much as any other Mom.  Let's get real for a minute though.  We can't play down the other side of life with kids. The constant fighting The whining The meltdowns (yes one of our guys st...

It's Summer, bring on the Baby Oil and Iodine! Not!

I was a teenager in the 80's.  We were living in Southern Pennsylvania, where the Winter's were cold & icy, and the Summer's were hot and sweaty.  The first hint of warm weather signaled us to bring our the shorts, and baby oil. We were all about getting our tan on.  You either used one of those coconut smelling tanning concoctions, or if you were hard core (like me, and my girls) you used Grandma Helen's formula, baby oil and iodine.  We would slather that oily mess on from head to toe, squeeze lemons onto our hair (or later sprayed Sun-In all over it), grab the cordless phone, our favorite nail polish, and head out to the pool. Now as a parent, and adult, my first thought is "oh no! don't get all of that crap in the pool!". My parents tried, believe me.  My sister and I would still get right in, get on the float and get our tan on. You couldn't lay on the side see.  You need the water to reflect and make sure you got the ultimate amount of sun...