To some this quote might sound like a call to perfectionism. I don't see a call to perfectionism, because I know that perfectionism is a futile quest. I focus on the words "your good, your better, your best." Your good, better, best is tempered with the boundaries you have put in place for yourself. It is sweetened with acceptance of yourself of others. It is made perfect, by operating under the peace that you will always strive to make your good, better, and your better, best. That is enough. That is just right actually.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Comments
Post a Comment