Skip to main content

Red lip fabulosity for Every woman

Ok friends, let's talk about red lips. I can't tell you how many people have told me over the years-- "I just can't wear red."  Au contrarie mon Amie-- yes you can. Red is the most beautiful, classic lip a girl can wear. It is grown-up make-up. Red says, "I like who I am."

Getting the shade, the finish and the texture right can be tricky-- those choices are very personal. You have to consider you skin tone, the way you wear your lipstick, are you a smoocher, how often will you reapply?

Let's start with shade. I found this helpful graphic to help you determine which shade will be most complimentary.







Once you have determined which red is right, it is time to consider wear. I love a classic blue/red lipstick with a matte finish, but I am a smoocher. Blue/reds also have the added benefit of making your teeth look whiter. I get very grossed out by lipstick goo on cups and straws,  so personally I opt for a long wear lip color like Revlon color-stay or another perma-type formula. The downside to these is they lack the beautiful velvety texture of s classic matte lipstick, and can be drying to your lips. The upside is they stay put and stay bold until you remove them. So if you are looking for everyday wear, I would recommend perms-formulas, if you are going out, and don't plan on smooching much, I would splurge on a classic formula.


















This example has a moist shine. It is lovely but will not hold up quite as well as a matte application. True matte products can be pretty dry, which can make tube application difficult- try a brush for cleaner application.
Applying a low gloss lipstick then using a brush with translucent powder is s great way to create a DIY long lasting matte finish. Above you will see low-key shine on the left, compared to a classic matte on the above.

One word of caution-- very few women can pull of the high gloss red. It bleeds, it is messy, it is really only appropriate for photo shoots in my opinion. I know it is shiny and you want it, but resist. You will thank me later.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I came to know Him

I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Quiet days of Summer- Ha!! Lol....

Summer is a wonderful time if you have the luxury to stay home with your kids and enjoy the slower pace.  Lazy days, pool time, reading, outings, and spending time at the beach is good for the soul.  If you are a parent who keeps your kids home with you vs. sending them to camp--- there is also a dark side to the lazy days of Summer. I know many Moms who say loud and proud, "I can't wait till Summer!! Oh yeah! Only 3 more weeks!!, Oh no! It's over already! We need a few more weeks!!" Are you one of those? Do you say it with a straight face? Ok, maybe you are sincere.  Bully for you, you win the Mom medal. Those are NOT my people.  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, I really do.  I love reading time, and lego time, and swimming, and picnics at the beach-- as much as any other Mom.  Let's get real for a minute though.  We can't play down the other side of life with kids. The constant fighting The whining The meltdowns (yes one of our guys st...

It's Summer, bring on the Baby Oil and Iodine! Not!

I was a teenager in the 80's.  We were living in Southern Pennsylvania, where the Winter's were cold & icy, and the Summer's were hot and sweaty.  The first hint of warm weather signaled us to bring our the shorts, and baby oil. We were all about getting our tan on.  You either used one of those coconut smelling tanning concoctions, or if you were hard core (like me, and my girls) you used Grandma Helen's formula, baby oil and iodine.  We would slather that oily mess on from head to toe, squeeze lemons onto our hair (or later sprayed Sun-In all over it), grab the cordless phone, our favorite nail polish, and head out to the pool. Now as a parent, and adult, my first thought is "oh no! don't get all of that crap in the pool!". My parents tried, believe me.  My sister and I would still get right in, get on the float and get our tan on. You couldn't lay on the side see.  You need the water to reflect and make sure you got the ultimate amount of sun...