What does summer mean to you? I imagine for Mom's who work, it can be a stressful season, trying to keep everyone busy, happy, and trying to get to work on time all the while. For many families, camp is the solution. For the Rhodes clan, is means a slower pace, camp outs in the back yard, smores in the fire pit, and friends over almost every day. It means never being able to find a dry towel too, the only down side to having a pool full of kids. I have been blessed with years and years of summers with my kids. Our summers are not full of amusement parks, fancy vacations, and movies every other day, but I think when my kids are grown, they will appreciate the experiences they have had, without all of that stuff. I have really fond memories of summers as a kid, and they were much the same. I remember sleepovers, camp outs, small town carnivals, lounging by the pool, and my favorite part....crabs. My birthday is coming up, and every year since we moved west, all I can think of is how much I miss Maryland crabs in July. Maryland blue crabs, smothered in Old Bay, with an icy cold beer, is the only birthday dinner I want, and unless I FedEx em' in, that isn't going to happen. Boo Hoo, sunshine all year, or crabs on your birthday, ok, I'll stop whining. I hope you will enjoy the lazy days of summer. Take a nap in the hammock, read a good book, play at the beach, this is the good stuff. :)
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment