I got to visit with a friend of mine last night. She is a Mom of one awesome 15 year old. He has been friends with my oldest since third grade. She has taken in 3 little foster babies. They are brothers, ages 4, 3 and 20 months. Wow, what an undertaking, right?? Three kids under the age of five, presto, all at once. They didn't come with much in the way of belongings. God is good, though, and the blessings have been flowing their way. What these guys need most is love, limits, and security. The clothing, and toys, are a blessing, and to the boys, I am sure it is almost overwhelming to go from having nothing, to having so much. How scary it must be for these little ones, shifted from home to home, from care giver, to care giver. How confusing. When you say, we are going home, they are still confused about what that means. Going to McDonald's even has a confusing connotation, because they associate it with a visit from their birth parents. So much to process. Love is huge, love is powerful. It can overcome even the most difficult of circumstances in time. What a blessing to my friend, to be able to love on those kids.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment