All of my boys sans babies sitting around watching movies. First we watched Avengers, now an old Star Trek Flick. It is so cool when they don't hide in their rooms. Today the oldest boys shoveled pepper tree debris, to clean up the yard. You would think they were in a juvenile prison camp. I of course couldn't help recounting childhood stories of stacking firewood in the dead of winter, scrubbing the bathroom every week, walking miles to the bus stop in weather so cold the snot froze in our noses, weeding the garden. Their reply to my reminiscing was.... "Did you get up at 5am to milk the cows too?, " did you have to trade produce for eggs?". I could have said no, but I knew people who did--- but I don't think they would have believed me. What a kooshy life they live. They have no clue what life was like before wifi, satellite TV, Pandora, cell phones, and IPads. They really can't imagine how we survived. Heck, we couldn't even get cable where I lived. I stayed up late every Friday night, to watch Friday Night Videos, because we had no MTV. Guess what, I felt like I was living a pretty privileged life. I am sure I never thanked my Mom & Dad. I know I whined plenty when I couldn't get Jordache Jeans, or new Nikes, but I knew I was living a good life. My boys get it too.... But the whole labor thing...they don't really get that. Oh we'll, I'll have to think of more chores to desensitize them a little, lol.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Comments
Post a Comment