My family situation is interesting. I have one son in High School, one son in Middle School, one son in Elementary School, and one pre-schooler (a son, as well). I am doing something with my youngest, that I never did with the older ones, "Mommy & Me". Most of you know it is a pre-school setting, but parent inter-active. We have free play, craft time, circle time, a regular routine, it's fun....most days. Today however, it was crazy town!! We have a few new kids in the class, and 3 & 4 year old tempers were rocking the house. Complacent mothers were sitting pleading with their kids, to stop beating up other kids, stop grabbing toys from others, to STOP SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. Some moms were just sitting, chatting with their girlfriends, while an exasperated teacher, tried to control their unruly kids. Maybe it is just because I am 43, and the mother of a preschooler. (all the wisdom that comes with age, and all that), but I was very close to rounding up those self absorbed chit chatting mothers, and giving them a serious Call Out. I didn't though. I took deep breaths. I focused on Nick, and remembered that while they have a lot to learn, they will learn at their own pace. I am far from perfect and it has taken me years to learn when to step in & when to let things go with my boys. So! I'll do the old smile, and model good behavior method of teaching! (+ take two Excedrin and pick up a bottle of wine on the way home)
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment