As Thanksgiving rolls around, we start to get really excited about Christmas here at the Rhodes abode. This year we went to Arizona to spend the holiday with my parents, but despite the trip--- we still got the tree up on Thanksgiving weekend. I have insisted on a real tree the past few years, mostly because we had a fake one that we used in our condo- FOR FOUR YEARS-- when we first moved to SoCal. So! Practical or not, we put up a real tree every year now. Every year, I am romanced by the wonderful smell, the ritual of getting the tree, pulling out all of our cherished ornaments. But now, even I must admit-- it was really, really, dead a long time ago. It's kinda brown, very droopy, and really doesn't smell like much of anything anymore. Maybe, just maybe, I'll go for a fake one next year--BUT IT HAS TO BE A REALLY CONVINCING ONE! Farewell Christmas Tree 2010, you were beautiful while you lasted.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment