Anyone who knows my husband, knows that the man loves his Diet Coke. He also is a fan of beer. That makes for a lot of cans. We have a recycle bin in the kitchen. Not the most attractive set up. I tried dainty little recycle containers, but they just weren't practical, so now we use a big cardboard box. When it gets full, we move the stuff to bags in the garage. When I can no longer get to my laundry room because the garage is so full of recycling, then I'll pile it all in my car and head off to the recycle center. That is an adventure in itself. Nick, my 4 year old, and I, put on our rubber gloves, navigate though the homeless folks who congregate there, wait in a long line, then separate the plastic and cans and get the job done. The man who works there loves that Nick helps me. He is very kind to us, and always helps us to get through quickly. There is one particular woman, an old homeless woman, who has taken a serious dislike to me, and she hisses and curses at me, it's lovely. A long time ago, I tried to make conversation with her, and offered her my bag of recycling hoping it might help her out. Bad idea. She is so nasty, I've had to tell the kids to act like they can't hear her talking, because any eye contact or words of kindness send her into a rage. But on the up side, Nick has a ball throwing cans, I clean out my garage, and clear a sweet $12 (whoo Hoo, off to McDonald's play place!) .... now that is a good thing as Martha would say.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment