Skip to main content

Foster Care & Adoption thoughts

This morning I was listening to talk radio, and the focus was on the topic of foster care and adoption.  This is a topic that has engaged me for many years.  I am not one to quote scripture, I am pretty new to the whole reading and understanding the Bible thing.   I do however find more and more that this big "complicated book", is really a very simple manual for life.  It really isn't complicated, God is pretty clear about what he expects from us.

Something that really resonates with me, is this:

James1:19, 22-24

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says.  Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like."

My point is, knowing what God wants of us, is like Pandora's box, once you know-- you can't "unknow", so if you choose to move forward without acting, you are knowingly walking in disobedience.

It's like when your child does something crazy like peeing on a tree right in front of your dinner guests.(Yes, that has happened in the Rhodes household) It's not fun, but hey, first time, we will give them grace.  But once they KNOW, that is not ok, if they do it again, there is a pretty big consequence.  Sorry to over simplify, but it illustrates, right?

That is how I feel about caring for the lost ones in this world.  Once you know, you can't unknow.  That looks different for everyone, it doesn't mean that every family is meant to foster and adopt-- of course not. But how might you be called to take care of the orphans of this world? Could it be to sponsor a child through letters or small money gifts?  Could it be supporting events like backpack drives, an Christmas gift drives for foster kids?  Could it mean getting on an urgent needs email list with an agency (like Olive Crest, Rosemary's Children) where you can make immediate donations of furniture, or clothes, or tons of different things, as urgent needs arise?

Follow your heart, it speaks loud and clear.  God is speaking to you, drawing you toward something.  I would encourage you not to put your hands over your ears, screaming "LaLaLa La, I can't hear you!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I came to know Him

I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Quiet days of Summer- Ha!! Lol....

Summer is a wonderful time if you have the luxury to stay home with your kids and enjoy the slower pace.  Lazy days, pool time, reading, outings, and spending time at the beach is good for the soul.  If you are a parent who keeps your kids home with you vs. sending them to camp--- there is also a dark side to the lazy days of Summer. I know many Moms who say loud and proud, "I can't wait till Summer!! Oh yeah! Only 3 more weeks!!, Oh no! It's over already! We need a few more weeks!!" Are you one of those? Do you say it with a straight face? Ok, maybe you are sincere.  Bully for you, you win the Mom medal. Those are NOT my people.  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, I really do.  I love reading time, and lego time, and swimming, and picnics at the beach-- as much as any other Mom.  Let's get real for a minute though.  We can't play down the other side of life with kids. The constant fighting The whining The meltdowns (yes one of our guys st...

It's Summer, bring on the Baby Oil and Iodine! Not!

I was a teenager in the 80's.  We were living in Southern Pennsylvania, where the Winter's were cold & icy, and the Summer's were hot and sweaty.  The first hint of warm weather signaled us to bring our the shorts, and baby oil. We were all about getting our tan on.  You either used one of those coconut smelling tanning concoctions, or if you were hard core (like me, and my girls) you used Grandma Helen's formula, baby oil and iodine.  We would slather that oily mess on from head to toe, squeeze lemons onto our hair (or later sprayed Sun-In all over it), grab the cordless phone, our favorite nail polish, and head out to the pool. Now as a parent, and adult, my first thought is "oh no! don't get all of that crap in the pool!". My parents tried, believe me.  My sister and I would still get right in, get on the float and get our tan on. You couldn't lay on the side see.  You need the water to reflect and make sure you got the ultimate amount of sun...