It is very quiet in my house this morning, that is unusual. The little ones are off to school. The teenager's are still sleeping, and the tween has a friend over, and is occupied. Praise the Lord for silence, it is a gift, though not given often. For once I am not rushed to run someone somewhere, or feeling the pressure of a work deadline. I am thinking about things like planting flowers, and going to a friends house for a knitting lesson. I love that life has so many interesting facets. I love it even more when I have a breather, when I can think about the things that bring me joy, and fill up my spirit. Creative things tend to do that for me. When I have time to scrapbook, or design a piece of jewelry, when I have time to learn to knit, or get into a really good book. Those are small pleasures that get ignored much of the time as I race about life. We need darkness to appreciate the sun, we need cold to appreciate warmth, we need craziness to appreciate peace. I very much appreciate the peace of listening to the peacock's squawk, and my dog snore, as I take a moment to take inventory of my day. Life is good.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment