Skip to main content

Change Happens, Like it or not

I am going to go out on a limb here, and I just might offend. If I do, sorry, feel free to not read this page in the future.  But you know, being challenged is good for the spirit every now and then.  I get my views challenged plenty, and believe it or not, I still have friends.

I do not understand people who are rigid. Who are of the "it should always be how it has always been" frame of mind. How do you survive that way?  How is that good for you?  How does that help you or anyone or anything grow, or become better?  I believe in standards, in morals, in grounding.

This all comes to mind because of a media frenzy in front of my childrens school today. Apparently there is a segment of the parent population that is very unhappy with our new principal.  I am aware of this. I have heard a little gossip, which I ignore.  I have seen a few facebook posts, which I don't pay any attention to. I have asked a few pointed questions of people I respect, and gotten very little to substantiate any of the rumors. I have personally not witnessed any of the offending behavoir.  I have seen change, yes, there has been change. Has it been different? Yes. Bad? Not so much. Is it reason to alert the media? Only in LA.

People may say, well, you Victoria have only been at this school for 3 years, what do you know.  To that I must qualify myself.  I am a citizen of the community friend.  I have 5 children.  I have spent years in the following schools in this community.

Bay Laurel Elementary- 6 years (where I was active on the PFA board serving as VP and President)
AC Stelle Middle School- 4 years
El Camino Real High School- 2 years
Viewpoint School -3 years- present
AE Wright Middle School -2 years-present
Woodlake Elementary School- 3 years-present

I have held back 3 out of five of my children with the help of administrators who care a great deal for the future success of my kids. Two of them at Woodlake. I have volunteered my time, worked through mounds of paperwork, fundraised for districts, and private schools to always make sure my children have the best opportunities possible.

I know a little bit about getting along with administration and teachers friends.  It is never in your best interest to be a constant thorn.  To assume they are trying to hurt you or your children is a shameful approach, they are doing their best every day to do a very difficult job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I came to know Him

I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Quiet days of Summer- Ha!! Lol....

Summer is a wonderful time if you have the luxury to stay home with your kids and enjoy the slower pace.  Lazy days, pool time, reading, outings, and spending time at the beach is good for the soul.  If you are a parent who keeps your kids home with you vs. sending them to camp--- there is also a dark side to the lazy days of Summer. I know many Moms who say loud and proud, "I can't wait till Summer!! Oh yeah! Only 3 more weeks!!, Oh no! It's over already! We need a few more weeks!!" Are you one of those? Do you say it with a straight face? Ok, maybe you are sincere.  Bully for you, you win the Mom medal. Those are NOT my people.  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, I really do.  I love reading time, and lego time, and swimming, and picnics at the beach-- as much as any other Mom.  Let's get real for a minute though.  We can't play down the other side of life with kids. The constant fighting The whining The meltdowns (yes one of our guys st...

It's Summer, bring on the Baby Oil and Iodine! Not!

I was a teenager in the 80's.  We were living in Southern Pennsylvania, where the Winter's were cold & icy, and the Summer's were hot and sweaty.  The first hint of warm weather signaled us to bring our the shorts, and baby oil. We were all about getting our tan on.  You either used one of those coconut smelling tanning concoctions, or if you were hard core (like me, and my girls) you used Grandma Helen's formula, baby oil and iodine.  We would slather that oily mess on from head to toe, squeeze lemons onto our hair (or later sprayed Sun-In all over it), grab the cordless phone, our favorite nail polish, and head out to the pool. Now as a parent, and adult, my first thought is "oh no! don't get all of that crap in the pool!". My parents tried, believe me.  My sister and I would still get right in, get on the float and get our tan on. You couldn't lay on the side see.  You need the water to reflect and make sure you got the ultimate amount of sun...