Skip to main content

Not One but Two, College Athletes! Blessings overflow!

Blessings are overflowing around here, and I am both proud and hugely grateful.  Two of my sons leave for College in the Fall. They have both earned scholarships and will be College Athletes.  We could not be more proud of their efforts both in the classroom and on the field.  We have so many people to thank for this.

First and foremost, our Father, who art in Heaven--- he led us every step of the way.  Opening doors, putting amazing people in our path, answering prayers.... He has been faithful, always.

Dwayne Walker, family friend, and one of Jack's youth football coaches. He introduced us to Viewpoint School, which has been an incredible blessing.

Chris Adamson, family friend, Head Football Coach at Viewpoint, and overall mentor and counselor. He has Coached both of our boys, been an incredible example of ethics, and responsible behavior. Over the years Chris has answered every text, email, and phone call that we ever made to him--- responding with helpfulness and enthusiasm--- every, single, time.  He has coached our boys well, advocated for them like an Agent, counseled us through the entire college application & negotiation process.  He has never given up on our boys, even when they (well William) took detours. 

Viewpoint School- every teacher, counselor, administrator and staff member gave our children and our family their very best.  What a treasure that place is.  We are so glad we made the decision to send our boys there and we are looking forward to the next four years with our son Michael. 

Jen Miller, my dear friend, confidant, and sister in Christ.  Thank you for holding my feet to the fire when I was about to give in to my oldest sons whims.  Thank you for repeating my own words back to me, about how I had raised my sons to work for their educations.  Thank you for reminding me that the message we would be sending by giving in and not holding William to the standards we had long ago set down would be damaging to both him and his younger brothers.  Thank you, holding me accountable to do the right thing even though it would make my beloved son sad. (for 10 minutes, before he made his own decision to pursue football) 

God has blessed these boys with gifts.  You can't teach big.  You can't buy smart.  Oh, and they are good looking and charming too, yes I am biased, I am a Mother.   Most of all He has blessed them with faith.  Despite being the square who doesn't cuss, or the "moron" who isn't so interested in the party girls, --- yes they get ribbed a lot by their friends-- they have faith.  It doesn't mean they have no fun, they are not perfect.  They get in their fair share of trouble (not nearly as much as I did at their age, PTL!!). I feel so blessed by the circumstances, opportunities, and helping hands that have culminated in this incredible opportunity for both of them. 

Thank you friends, family, coaches, teachers and councilors. We thank God every day for you. 

Jack's Signing Ceremony-- Tufts University!


William's private signing ceremony for Missouri Valley College!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fox hole parenting

I enter this new week a little tired, but smiling.  Why? No drama this weekend.  We had sunshine, and sports, and cuddle time--- less the drama.  Most families don't experience the intense level of emotions that the Rhodes clan does. Sure, they have the hectic life of families, perhaps some fighting, the normal mess--- perhaps a little teen hormone induced drama....but we have drama of a different kind in our house.  The kind of drama caused by a brain that is shooting off crazy chemicals induced by years of trauma.  When our son Victor is home, the whole world is a great big land mine.  Saying the wrong thing, calling him out on behavior, or even suggesting that he not eat a 4th serving of ice cream can cause the the peace to recede, and for chaos to ensue. He is now in a boarding school for kids with emotional issues.  As sad as it is that our family isn't all together--- I must admit that the peace in our household is a welcome blessing.  We are learning more and more

New season of renewal & refinement

I am a girl with strong faith.  Strong, blind, childlike faith.  My atheist friends are bewildered by it.  They cannot understand how such a smart woman would believe such "nonsense".  I have no explanation other than, I just do. I preface this post with that statement because, you won't find me quoting scripture here.  Though I would if I were more confident in my ability to do so competently.  I do not have that confidence, never have.  I am a believer.  My belief has been nurtured by life experience, by answered prayers, by constant evidence that God cares about me.  I see his hand in big things and small. I look to him for guidance and help in all things.  I am not a Biblical scholar.  I have always been somewhat insecure about that.  I am bolstered up by the words of a Godly woman much wiser than I who assures me that "I am living my walk out loud".  My faith is not in my knowledge of the scripture, but in the choices I make each and every day. I

Networking can be expensive!

I went to a cool women's networking meeting the other night. It was with an organization called Heartlink . It was at some one's house. An awesome dinner was served. Tables set, lovely hospitality, and about 20 very interesting women were there. We each got 3 minutes to introduce ourselves and tell a bit about our business's. Most of the women knew each other already. Many of the women present had business's that sell through direct marketing. Most of the big ones were represented, and a few new ones I had never heard of but found interesting. There were also women with other business's like insurance, legal services, printing, etc... It is great to meet like minded people, and I can definitely see the benefits of attending regularly. The bad part however, is it leaves you wanting to go shopping! All of a sudden, I MUST have the new mango cutter from Pampered Chef, and I am yearning to freshen up my candles, and I NEED a hole new wardrobe from CABi .