Skip to main content

Don't let your child become a JPEG

Alright, I must ask...who among us is guilty of being less diligent about taking pictures and getting them into albums with our younger children, than we were with the older ones???? Admit it. Is your youngest resigned to viewing their childhood on jpeg files? I am ashamed to say, poor Nick see's his childhood mostly on Daddy's phone, or on facebook albums. :(

Now some of you may not think that is a big deal, but I must point out that technology is constantly changing. Those files, so easy to enjoy now may not be as accessible to you 20 years from now (unless you are super diligent about backing things up, changing formats, etc... are you?)

If you have been to my home, you know that I have been a dedicated scrapbooker since about 1996 (the year my oldest was born). My shelves are full of completed albums, close to 60 I believe. In the beginning I really enjoyed doing it. It was fantastic social time. I would hang out with my girlfriends, we would drink wine, tell stories, share page layouts, wow, I miss those days. As life got busier, and my family grew, it got to feel a little more like work, but I kept it up, just at a slower pace. Now, I am about 2 years behind.

I am reminded just how much it is worth the work, every time one of my children pulls out an album and relives some fun time from the past. They love looking at those albums. They remember the names of relatives long since past, because they have those pictures. They remember their childhoods, in detail, because I took the time to document it with pictures and memorabilia. So, awesome. I don't know about you, but I don't remember a whole lot about my childhood, and what I do remember is triggered by a picture.

This task of being the family historian is an important one. I know that my children appreciate it now, and will certainly appreciate it when they are older. Back to work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I came to know Him

I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Quiet days of Summer- Ha!! Lol....

Summer is a wonderful time if you have the luxury to stay home with your kids and enjoy the slower pace.  Lazy days, pool time, reading, outings, and spending time at the beach is good for the soul.  If you are a parent who keeps your kids home with you vs. sending them to camp--- there is also a dark side to the lazy days of Summer. I know many Moms who say loud and proud, "I can't wait till Summer!! Oh yeah! Only 3 more weeks!!, Oh no! It's over already! We need a few more weeks!!" Are you one of those? Do you say it with a straight face? Ok, maybe you are sincere.  Bully for you, you win the Mom medal. Those are NOT my people.  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, I really do.  I love reading time, and lego time, and swimming, and picnics at the beach-- as much as any other Mom.  Let's get real for a minute though.  We can't play down the other side of life with kids. The constant fighting The whining The meltdowns (yes one of our guys st...

It's Summer, bring on the Baby Oil and Iodine! Not!

I was a teenager in the 80's.  We were living in Southern Pennsylvania, where the Winter's were cold & icy, and the Summer's were hot and sweaty.  The first hint of warm weather signaled us to bring our the shorts, and baby oil. We were all about getting our tan on.  You either used one of those coconut smelling tanning concoctions, or if you were hard core (like me, and my girls) you used Grandma Helen's formula, baby oil and iodine.  We would slather that oily mess on from head to toe, squeeze lemons onto our hair (or later sprayed Sun-In all over it), grab the cordless phone, our favorite nail polish, and head out to the pool. Now as a parent, and adult, my first thought is "oh no! don't get all of that crap in the pool!". My parents tried, believe me.  My sister and I would still get right in, get on the float and get our tan on. You couldn't lay on the side see.  You need the water to reflect and make sure you got the ultimate amount of sun...