Having been around lot's of little girls lately, it is clear to me that God knew what he was doing when he gave me boys. I love little girls. I love their sweetness, their cuteness, the way they mimic grown ups, it is all very sweet. I don't think however, that I would be an especially nurturing Mama to a little girl. My parenting style while very affectionate, is also very, no-nonsense, "get over yourself", and take those tears out of here fast. I have been gifted with a very low tolerance for whining, and (unless there is injury or blood, even then, I can be a little tough) tears drive me crazy. Now that is funny coming from a woman, who can be quite whiny, and very tearful (hormones I tell ya, hormones). Tattle tale behavior sends me reeling, and ends up getting everyone punished. I don't freak out and run to the field/rink/mat when one of my boys gets jostled or hurt during the game/match. I don't panic over blood. I feel confident that my boys would tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are loved and treasured, but they know better than to try to manipulate me with tears. I say all of this to say, girls I love you, that is why I must give you this advice, use your words. Learn how to express your needs calmly and directly. Speak up for yourself, don't whine about what others are doing. Your opinion is important, and people will pay more attention if it doesn't come out amidst tears, and whining. Love you.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment