Recently my friend Jennifer posted a question on her facebook page, "If you could go back and tell your teenage self anything at all, what would it be?" I loved the responses to that question. One of the responses I liked most is, "Don't worry about what the popular kids think, because most of them grow up to be uninteresting anyway." Now I'm sure that's a little bit of an exagaration, but it is true that kids worry way to much about what other people think of them. If there is one thing I have learned from going to the few High School reunions that I've been able to get to, is that the people I enjoyed talking to most (at the reunion) , are really the people I knew least in High School. It is so cool to see how people blossom and grow. High school is a tough gig. There is enormous pressure to fit in. Pressure to blend will always be there in life, being yourself is the true test of character. High School is a mere blip on the radar my young friends. Many of the people who don't "fit in" now, grow up to be some of the coolest people you could know.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment