Every woman has moments when she has trouble seeing the sunshine through the clouds. Some struggle more frequently than others. I have one day per month, typically around the 30th, and on this day I am sad. I am worried. I simply, "can't see blue skies". I tell myself that the feeling of gloom is not real. The sky isn't falling. My world is still in tact. In that 24 hour period however, I just can't believe it. Some might say, sheesh Victoria, go on medication for goodness sakes! I just don't believe that is necessary. The knowledge that tomorrow I will wake up with renewed optimism is enough to get me through the rough day. Thankfully what used to be days of gloom, doesn't last long at all anymore. Depression sucks, even if it only lasts 24 hours. My boys recognize that I am having my rough day, and try not to take my crankiness personally. To be honest, they all kind of just try to stay out of my path. Can't blame them for that. Tomorrow I will be the Mom, wife and friend you all know and love. For tonight I think I'll make a chai tea, take a hot bath, and read a book.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment