Skip to main content

The people who "Knew You When"

I have been pondering the stages of life we go through. I barely remember childhood to be honest, I wish I did remember more. Fortunately I have a dear friend who I have known since age three, who tells me hilarious stories from our childhood. Then there were the teen years, the 20's, 30's, and now the 40's. Life changes so much over the years. As I get older, I recognize more than ever, the importance of keeping people in my life who knew me at each of those points in time. Not just family, but friends, who went "through the wars" with me, as my husband would say. The friends who knew me in high school, in college, after college but before marriage, etc... I feel so fortunate to have people in my life who "knew me when". People who have pictures and stories from the good (and not so good) old days. Friends who were by my side during some of the hardest times in my life, as well as during the most joyous times. I have very little regret. Don't get me wrong, I did some things while growing up that I am not especially proud of. I know now, that those moments when I took crazy risks, used bad judgement, and disrespected myself, were all refining moments. God uses everything. Even when I was VERY far from him, he used those experiences to mold me into something he wanted me to be. I have a heart for young girls, because I remember so clearly what it was like to be one. I remember the insecurity, the attention seeking, the need to be accepted. I have not been blessed with daughters of my own, but I feel drawn to young women whenever I am near them (In a motherly way of course). We'll see what God has planned for me, it is not clear yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I came to know Him

I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...

Quiet days of Summer- Ha!! Lol....

Summer is a wonderful time if you have the luxury to stay home with your kids and enjoy the slower pace.  Lazy days, pool time, reading, outings, and spending time at the beach is good for the soul.  If you are a parent who keeps your kids home with you vs. sending them to camp--- there is also a dark side to the lazy days of Summer. I know many Moms who say loud and proud, "I can't wait till Summer!! Oh yeah! Only 3 more weeks!!, Oh no! It's over already! We need a few more weeks!!" Are you one of those? Do you say it with a straight face? Ok, maybe you are sincere.  Bully for you, you win the Mom medal. Those are NOT my people.  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, I really do.  I love reading time, and lego time, and swimming, and picnics at the beach-- as much as any other Mom.  Let's get real for a minute though.  We can't play down the other side of life with kids. The constant fighting The whining The meltdowns (yes one of our guys st...

It's Summer, bring on the Baby Oil and Iodine! Not!

I was a teenager in the 80's.  We were living in Southern Pennsylvania, where the Winter's were cold & icy, and the Summer's were hot and sweaty.  The first hint of warm weather signaled us to bring our the shorts, and baby oil. We were all about getting our tan on.  You either used one of those coconut smelling tanning concoctions, or if you were hard core (like me, and my girls) you used Grandma Helen's formula, baby oil and iodine.  We would slather that oily mess on from head to toe, squeeze lemons onto our hair (or later sprayed Sun-In all over it), grab the cordless phone, our favorite nail polish, and head out to the pool. Now as a parent, and adult, my first thought is "oh no! don't get all of that crap in the pool!". My parents tried, believe me.  My sister and I would still get right in, get on the float and get our tan on. You couldn't lay on the side see.  You need the water to reflect and make sure you got the ultimate amount of sun...