Go, go, go. It seems that is the way we have to function if we have any hope of keeping up with the race that life can become. Priorities push and pull us in different directions. Travel here, go there, pick up one here, take another there. Do you sometimes feel like life is dragging you along at a pace that is just a little to fast? I make an effort to keep things under control, but it speeds up a little at a time, until without realising it happened, I am running to keep up again. I believe, that sometimes it is necessary to just put on the breaks. To say stop. No we won't be running there today, today we are taking the day off. We are going to sit at the same table for dinner. We are going to have a conversation, all in the same room, without the use of technology. No facebook, no texting, no email, no twittering, and no phone. Today, we look each other in the eyes and talk. Today we discuss what makes you happy, and what makes you sad. We talk about our faith, and discuss the wonders God has done in our lives this week. We pray for people who are hurting, sick, and in need. Time to slow down, tap on the breaks, take a breather. What is the rush anyway? What is so important? Nothing is more important than cherishing the relationships we are so lucky to have. That is all I have to say about that.
I am helping to prepare a baby shower for a young woman at our church. She is young, just 22. Thinking about her, and what the future may hold for her and her little family, got me to thinking about life at 22. Much has changed for me since I was 22. That was really a difficult time. I didn't realize at the time that it was difficult. I had graduated from college, was having a post college, pre-real life, super good time. I was bar tending, partying, picking up and traveling to far away places to party some more. I didn't really have much in the way of financial responsibility yet, and my parents were living in Egypt-- leaving me in charge of the house and my younger sister. It was an "out all night, sleep all day", kind of life. To be honest, I was setting a pretty poor example for my sister, who at the time was working full-time at a nursing home, and was far more responsible than I was. Looking back at that time, and even later, till about age 25, it make...
Comments
Post a Comment